-->

¿Se habla English? Life of a Translator

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Speak s-l-o-w

Every day (except last week) I get a silly coffee drink at a nearby coffeehouse/performance space/insert your own use. This place has recently employed a lovely young woman who, it turns out, was raised in a major city in Latin America by her missionary parents. She speaks Spanish.

Whenever she sees me, we make small talk. In Spanish. Our different accents(her delicate, melodic one; my machine-gun delivery) sometimes represent a challenge. I must fine tune my ear and make sure to articulate clearly and slow down.

I wonder how I will sound next month, when I go back home to Puerto Rico and I get to speak in Spanish every single second.

1 Comments:

  • Hola Jo- Hanna!
    Yesh, we translators are all coffee -powered, it think...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home