-->

¿Se habla English? Life of a Translator

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Nine hundred and ninety-nine pieces

This was not the post I wanted to write.

I wanted the cyber equivalent of a dance of joy. As I found out yesterday, the score on my written test (passing is 70%; I scored 95%) qualified me to take the oral test for court interpreters later this month.

After doing an Internet search, I found an article with tips for preparing for the oral test. It consists of three parts: sight translation, consecutive translation, and simultaneous translation. The article suggested reading news and practicing translating these. So far, so good.

So, I log on to cnn.com. By now, we all now that on Monday, a truck driver went into a one-room schoolhouse in an Amish community and shot several young schoolgirls. For some reason, I logged on to an interview with an official describing the events. And I tried to interpret, in a simultaneous fashion, the way the articles describe. If you find a word you don't understand, skip it and move on. Don't add, don't leave out information. Be professional and keep an emotional distance.

Even if your heart breaks into 999 pieces.

2 Comments:

  • Well, congratulations and all the good look for the next tests!
    Yeah, professionalism counts, but thats the best thing for all. We do not know rhe truth, and in the courts even less.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 PM  

  • Thank you, Richard.

    By Blogger jo-hanna, at 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home