-->

¿Se habla English? Life of a Translator

Sunday, December 31, 2006

A translator's resolutions

Año Nuevo, vida nueva (New Year, New Life). It's been a little over a month since I started my job at the SGN (Shall Go Nameless) agency. My voice has gotten somewhat used to the stress of talking for hours on end, but my mom still thinks I have a cold. I have gotten to the point where I am not completely ignorant, yet still have a lot to learn.

The same old lifestyle resolutions (eat right, exercise) have been created, will be followed for a new days, then promptly forgotten.

As far as resolutions related to my career as a translator, I have a few:

  • LEARN TO DRIVE. It has dawned on me that getting work as a freelance interpreter would be a LOT easier if I am not completely dependent on the city's public transportation system or other people.
  • Learn not to count my chickens until they are hatched. Whenever I am approached for a project, do not start spending the income in my head until at least the invoice has been sent.
  • Practice my simultaneous translating skills.
  • Be more organized when it comes to my records. If I ever get audited by the IRS, the process might be less painful if I don't have to dig under my stacks of yarn for receipts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home